Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nora Ephron and the Kelly Bag

I just finished a very quick read. Nora Ephron "I Feel Bad About My Neck".

This is one of those books that make you laugh out loud. Another that make us realize how much more similar we are than unalike. Her sense of humour is my own. I originally bought the book because it is in short story form, and I was intending to read to my mother. Instead, the last time I was with my mother I read the Globe and Mail to her, an article on the women in French President Sarkosy's life. I will definitely read Nora's brilliant essays next.

In the chapter entitled "I Hate My Purse". She relates a story about being in Paris with a friend whose goal for the week was to buy a "Kelly Bag". I would not have known what a Kelly Bag was had I not just read an article in the Saturday Globe about the idiocy of waiting years, in an order line for one of these outrageously ($7,000 and up) priced purses. The description given is "A Kelly bag is an Hermès bag first made in the 1950's that Grace Kelly made famous; hence the name." The Globe article goes through the description of needing to cosy up to a salesperson to even be offered the chance to be on the waiting list, let alone to purchase one of these elite bags.

Wikipedia says: "Not only renowned for its saddlery and silk, Hermès is also highly recognized for its handmade luggage and handbag collections. Hermès does not use assembly lines; only one craftsman may work on one handbag at a time. Due to the labour-intensive nature of Hermès production methods and the use of rare materials (sometimes including exotic skins as well as precious metals), one bag can take 18 to 24 hours to create. The construction of each Kelly bag, for example, required 18 hours of work by a single artisan. When Hermès leather goods require repair, owners are encouraged to bring the item back to any Hermès store where it can be shipped to the factory in Paris for repair or reconditioning."
Coincidentally, I was prone on the couch on Saturday night surfing through channels and happened on the last third of a movie named "Le Divorce". The stellar cast was what made me trudge through to the end...hoping for slightly more substantial performances. Kate Hudson, Naomi Watts, Leslie Caron, Stockard Channing, Glenn Close, Bebe Neuwirth, Sam Waterston.....to name a few. At the very end a bright red Kelly bag, of rather nefarious origins, is launched off of the Eiffel Tower and floats over the rooftops of Paris.

This is another of those coincidences that you were never even considering Kelly bags, and then all of a sudden, "Kelly bags" are everywhere! I'm not even going to entertain the idea of trying to find a "vintage" bag at a Paris flea market.

2 comments:

  1. I love Grace Kelly. Did you know she love to press flowers. She was a great gardener as well. I think she was an all around wonderful U.S. Ambassador without even being asked to. Just think if you finish your bags (the kit you purchased at the festival) it could some day be a Leslie Bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who decides what becomes a hot commodity? I have an Hermes scarf and quite frankly, I think it is quite ugly! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete