Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Friendly Calll, 1895


Look at the picture and decide what you think the painter is trying to convey, then come up with your own version of what these two women are "gossiping" about. I couldn't figure out why that cushion was on the floor in the foreground. I still can't, but I guess this is why I find this piece so intriguing. Maybe the dog and cat were too difficult to paint?


Here's something that will keep you busy for a while on a rainy Friday. I was researching this latest calendar page by William Merritt Chase (1849-1916) and came across the National Gallery of Art website that has some really great podcasts and videos.

Click here to watch a video of your choice. I particularly liked the one on Turner as well as the Magic of Illusion series. They are quite short and how can you resist a visit to Florence today!

2 comments:

  1. The woman on the right is saying, "The mosquitoes have gone. You can take off your hat now."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 1895 and she's just arrived to tell about the train wreck in Montparnasse.

    ReplyDelete