Thursday, September 18, 2008

If I'd a known you were comin' I'd a

Baked this cake!

The picture is a little "tipsy" how appropriate for this cake! I'm not about to go in and fix things up in photoshop. How bizarre, maybe I am getting there :)

Here is my favourite recipe from my 1973 Good Housekeeping torn out magazine pages.

Quick Rum Cake à la Maison
1 package yellow-cake mix for 2-layer cake
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup light rum (or more if you want!)
Whipped-Cream Frosting (recipe follows)
Rich Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
1 1/2 cup chopped California Walnuts

Day before serving:
Prepare cake mix as label directs for two 9-inch round cake pans but fold grated orange peel into batter; bake and cool.

With long sharp knife, cut layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Sprinkle each layer with 2 tablespoons rum. Pace first layer on cake plate, cut side up. Spread with one-third of whipped-Cream Frosting. Repeat with 2 more layers. Top with last layer, top side up.

With Rich Chocolate Frosting, frost sides and top. Sprinkle nuts around sides of cake. Refrigerate overnight. Makes 12 servings.

Whipped-Cream Frosting

2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream with sugar andsalt until stiff peaks form; fold in vanilla. Keep frosted cake refrigerated until serving time. Fills and frosts 2-layer cake; frosts tube cake.

Rich Chocolate Frosting [I have come to use only half of this frosting]

6 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted [this makes a very "unsweet" Euoropean-type topping- you can also use semi-sweetened chocolate - a little milder taste.]
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

In medium bowl, with mixer at low speed, (or with spoon), beat chocolate with sugar and 3 tablespoons hot water until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add butter or margarine; beat until smooth. fills and frosts 2-layer cake; frosts tube cake, 13" by 9" cake, 2 dozen cupcakes.


This is a real oldie that I remember my parents singing ....only if you want to hear it...Eileen Barton sings "If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake"

3 comments:

  1. Ma Soeur,
    Thanks for reminding me of that old recipe. You gave it to me many years ago and I just found it in my tattered old book. I must try it again some time soon, as I recall it being a great one.
    I do remember "If I knew you were comin'..." and can picture your parents singing it. That reminded me of your accounts of you singing "How much is that doggie in the window?" for enthusiastic audiences, so I took a minute to watch Patti Page's version. I'm sure yours was much more animated and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly, this takes me back to my youth and childhood. Making this kind of cake with the yellow cake mix was the standard of the times and of course in our family the cake only lasted one meal so it was good if you were the baker so that you could get a few extra licks of all the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that recipe from you also, and love it. My niece's wedding cake was that, I put fondant on top and voile. I feel a song coming on. Just to quote a rubber stamp I'm sure we both have. "No matter how busy I seem to be, Your blog I MUST READ."

    ReplyDelete