Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blue

Blue Berries on my Variegated Porcelain Vine
Click to enlarge

"What is Blue?

Blue is the color of the sky
Without a cloud
Cool, distant, beautiful
And proud.
Blue is the quiet sea
And the eyes of some people,
And many agree
As they grow older and older
Blue is the scarf
Spring wears on her shoulder.
Blue is twilight,
Shadows on snow,
Blue is feeling
Way down low.
Blue is a heron,
A sapphire ring,
You can smell blue
In many a thing:
Gentian and larkspur
Forget-me-nots, too.
And if you listen
You can hear blue
In wind over water
And wherever flax blooms
And when evening steps into
Lonely rooms.
Cold is blue:
Flame shot from a welding torch
Is, too:
Hot, wild, screaming, blistering Blue-
And on winter mornings
The dawns are blue...."


[from: Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O'Neill]

1 comment:

  1. I have that same vine in my garden (it moved with me from my last garden)
    The poem is lovely.... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete