Sunday, November 2, 2008

Illustrious Birthdays

Today is Irenka's birthday. Some of you may call her Irene, but I think Irenka is much more romantic, so to me, she's Irenka. Happy Birthday my sweet friend. It would seem that Irenka is in some illustrious company sharing a birthday with no less than Marie Antoinette

Irenka is my buddy in most of the crimes I commit in the name of "art". In our first life, we started painting together and over many years have amassed enough wood to build a house. Then we branched out into scrapbooking and just about any other pursuit involving paper. We've made books. We attend "inspirational" events, and have even sewn curtains in our underwear (I'll leave that one up to your most vivid imaginings!)

Irenka doesn't drive, so I pull into her driveway and she just climbs into the front seat and trusts me. That is a true friend. We have been known to end up in some pretty interesting places. She takes me to Polish haunts that you have to "know about" for the most delicious food......she orders in Polish. I love to hear her speak. She is a true inspiration of grit, spirit, and the love of humankind. I will make sure that we stop by and have a bowl of ruby coloured Borscht to mark her new year.

Recently, when my Mother died, she gave me a wonderful gift. She purchased a star in my Mum's name. That's the sort of thing Irenka does. Quietly, she just comes up with the extraordinary. My daughter has a PhD in Astronomy/Physics and the Professor has always been a star gazer, so they, of course, are delighted to plot and locate this latest phenomenon.


The picture is a bit dark, but if you click on it and then locate "The bulls-eye" (two circles) near "Columba" a small constellation, is the demarcation of the Star named for Mum (Jean Rodger).

The coordinates should you want them :) I'm laughing, but The Professor found this....good luck :)
RA 5hrs. 32.64 minutes
DEC -32degrees 0.78 minutes

I have many reasons to look to the sky at night now. Thanks Irenka. I will always think of you too when I gaze skyward.

In one of the stars
I shall be living
In one of them
I shall be laughing
And so it will be
as if all the stars
were laughing
when you look
at the sky at night

~The Little Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

4 comments:

  1. Thank You for your wishes, and I love the Little Prince, another one of those good memories of pajama clad boys in my bed while their dad "served and protected".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma soeur,
    What a touching account of friendship and thoughtfulness. I shall be looking upward more purposefully now, searching for the star of a special lady.
    I believe I met Irenka once, and to her, I extend my very best wishes.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Irenka. My youngest grandson Myles will be 5 on November 4th and one of my friends just had her birthday on the 1st. November is a special month and leave it to Leslie to make it more special with such a nice tribute to a very special friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blog post Leslie! How touching to have a star in your Mum's name. Bravo Irenka!

    ReplyDelete