Friday, November 14, 2008

I'm off to the Animal Fair

I'm off to the Winter Fair this afternoon. I haven't done this in many a year. We always used to go on the weekend of our son's birthday. I want to look at the dogs.
I SAID LOOK AT!


Whenever I hear the word "Fair" it reminds me of the "I Went to the Animal Fair" song my Dad used to sing to me, and I to my children. The tradition started as I would sit atop his bent knees in bed and he'd sing and jostle us along until it came to "What became of Monk,Monk,Monk"....at which point his knees flattened and you were dunked, bouncing on the bed. I'm sure they have cleaned up the lyrics since my day of the monkey getting drunk...but this is how I heard it so long ago.
I went to the Animal Fair
The birds and the beasts were there
The big baboon by the light of the moon
Was combing his auburn hair

The monkey he got drunk
And fell on the elephant's trunk
The elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
And that was the end of the monk
The monk, the monk, the monk.

This is the tune It's a good one for marching along at The Fair.
I know there won't be any of these exotic animals at the fair I'm going to, but it will be fun LOOKING at the dogs!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Have fun Leslie and remember you are just looking at dogs.Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to babysitting your little dog, when you're in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After looking at the dogs at the fair do you still want a long haired mini dachund or did another breed capture your heart? You will most definitely fall in love with whatever puppy you choose in the end and puppy shopping is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete