Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance

"Come with me and I will show you
Why all war should ever cease
Take a walk among the gravestones
And your tears will cry for peace"


The Great War

Poppies stand as a prominent feature of "In Flanders Fields", one of the most frequently quoted English-language poems composed by front-line personnel during the First World War. It was written by John McCrae, a doctor serving in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, and appeared for the first time in Punch magazine on December 8, 1915.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae

2 comments:

  1. Ma Soeur,
    As I was about to go to your blog today, I knew I would discover a touching tribute. Of course, I was not disappointed. Thank you.
    I am off to my favourite elementary school today to attend a Remembrance Day service. I am always so moved by how the students assemble in silence, and seriously remember those who fought for our freedom. Our hope for peace is in the hands of our children.
    Love,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie A wonderful tribute for a special day. Thank you also for being there at Tim's today when even though they didn't stop to honour and remember we did. Thanks and may we always remember those lives lost and those who are still fighting.

    ReplyDelete