Sunday, April 26, 2009

Granny Square Update

You may remember that I took on a crocheting project in an effort to stay awake for the series of contest shows I watch. I used to hate the look of these blankets, but not unlike Brussels sprouts, it's one of those things that ameliorate as you age...I think.


This is what our living room floor looks like these days. When you click on the picture, you'll get the life size image of what the Professor is putting up with on a daily basis. He now has to use the far door to access his chair for t.v. watching. He also says that if it never gets sewn together we can always use it as a carpet, he's that accustomed to it. It's getting near the end. I decided on 15 rows of 9 squares.....do the math, that's 135 squares. I'm on the last row, and my shows are not finished yet.

This of course does not take into account the sewing together of the finished blanket. The little black ends will all be sewn in and "VIOLA"

I listened to several others who had attempted this project, and I have crocheted the ends in as I go. Now all that has to happen is, that Adam wins American Idol, Gilles wins Dancing with the Stars, and Grey's Anatomy comes to a season's finale.


We've been staring at these for a very long time and think that there are no two squares alike. Then we play the "which one is your favourite game". Deciding on the final placement will be quite another thing.


Back in March when I posted about this idea, I linked to Fiddlesticks which is now showing just what to do with any little bits of yarn left over! Eureka! She has the cutest little dog too! That is definitely another project!:)

11 comments:

  1. Ah, another Adam fan!

    I love the multi-coloured look of this; yes, it is old-fashioned and somewhat "70s", but a crocheted afghan is still a wonderful comfort and I believe they will never go out of style!

    ==Lennie==

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a masterpiece you've created! I envy you this skill. For some unknown reason, I could never learn to crochet. I'm a knitter - or,rather, I used to be. My biggest grief was to sew together all the pieces after the knitting process was complete and I payed many a person to do it for me. I once made a fabulous wool aran afghan but never sewed it together. My mom took a class in crochet so that it could be finished off. She had a hell of a time since the knitting was done over a few years and each panel was of a different tension and didn't match up to the others. Now I'm afraid to use it because of the barfing tendencies of the cats. But, I agree. The perfect project in front of the tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it, it looks great and i know how much work went into it!!
    i think you need to make two matching pillows!!
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this brings back memories! I did a couple of these when I was a sweet teenager (...!) What a big project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ma soeur,

    Your afghan is absolutely stunning! What a beautiful combination of colours. I would need a great deal of time to choose a favourite square.

    I think your next project should be to learn to tat, and then you can teach me. That's an old art that deserves reviving and you're just the one to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I got one as a shower gift too many years ago, It kept me warm for many an evening while Andy was on night shift. I eventually sent it off to Romania with my sister. I'm sure someone enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Mrs. Wilson is so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done a beautiful job - and what a lot of effort! A number of historic homes I've seen feature these traditional afghans. Keep up the good work!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I'm impressed and I still haven't event learned how to crochet. It's beautiful and does remind me of the one Kirk's mother and dad had many years ago when Kirk and I were dating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous array of grannies! I hope you decide to sew them together soon. I have one I crocheted 28 years ago that's still in the square state. Oh well, one of these days I will finish it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Afghan. Can't wait to see it when its finished. You put many hours of hard work and talent into it.

    ReplyDelete