Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Science meets Music

A while back you'll remember that my family were complaining about a concert that they were made to "endure", I might add in an effort to civilize them all.
The Professor in one of his blog posts said:
"One year Ms. Sandwalk took the entire family to see a full performance of Handel's Messiah. It was agony, except for one brief part of the performance where we all got to stand up. Ms. Sandwalk thought it was wonderful but, remember, she also likes some country music.

My children still talk about it. I guess it's one of those "experiences" that contribute to character building, or something."

Well, I guess that now, they will all realize the importance of their education. That daughter who eventually went on to attain a Doctorate in Astrophysics said:

Jane said:
"The music was never the problem - the problem was that to see Handel's Messiah you had to sit in a hard, uncomfortable church pew for over 2 hours! And when you're 15 years old, sitting beside a 14-year-old brother, it's inevitable that after 15 minutes you're going to start playing the "how hard can I pinch you before you make enough noise to make mom angry" game."


This is where science and music collide. The ensemble we heard at that magnificent event was Tafelmusik. I think this is the best of both worlds.


New Tafelmusik honour is out of this world
Toronto's baroque Tafelmusik ensemble has hit a celestial high note. The International Astronomical Union has named an asteroid after the group as thanks for its involvement in the International Year of Astronomy 2009. In January, the ensemble premiered the music and multimedia work Galileo Project: Music of the Spheres. Astronomers involved with that performance and with the astronomical union (including Victoria astronomer David Balam, who discovered the space rock in 2004) proposed the naming of "Asteroid Tafelmusik." Among various celestial rocks orbiting between Mars and Jupiter, Tafelmusik's asteroid is thought to be unevenly shaped and only a few kilometres wide.

GUY DIXON
April 18, 2009


I could not be more delighted that I heard this news on Earth Day!

Photo Credit:
www.wavelengthtoronto.com/index.php
Toronto Globe and Mail

4 comments:

  1. I too have to thank you for exposing me to different music. I would be happy to sit with you in a church pew and see the performance again. (P.S. I've bought myself a cushion I can travel with.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie Is today not earth day? I took my bag and plastic glove went I went for my daily walk. As I walked and picked up the empty cigarette packs won out over the coffee cups. Sadly I was able to fill my bag with litter but if we all did it regularly there wouldn't be so much litter around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful post. Choral music is one of life's great pleasures - good for you, Leslie! BTW, is it possible that The Professor has never heard of Patsy Cline - her voice was sensational, not at all "twangy" -

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. An asteroid named Tafelmusik - what will they think of next? There have been some new planets discovered orbiting around distant stars lately, maybe we can name one of them Havasupai Indian Waterfall Relaxation .

    ReplyDelete