Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dorothy Parker

Dorothy Parker (August 22, 1893–June 7, 1967) was an American writer and poet, best known for her caustic wit, wisecracks, and sharp eye for 20th century urban foibles.


From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table, a group she later disdained. Following the breakup of that circle, Parker traveled to Hollywood to pursue screenwriting. Her successes there, including two Academy Award nominations, were curtailed as her involvement in left-wing politics led to a place on the infamous Hollywood blacklist.

Parker survived three marriages (two to the same man) and several suicide attempts, but grew increasingly dependent on alcohol. Dismissive of her own talents, she deplored her reputation as a "wisecracker". Nevertheless, her literary output and her sparkling wit have endured.

Dorothy Parker Quotes

1.
"A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika"- Dorothy Parker

2.
" I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true"- Dorothy Parker

3.
"I've never been a millionaire but I just know that I'd be darling at it"- Dorothy Parker [I love this one!]

4.
"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force"-Dorothy Parker.

5.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity"-Dorothy Parker

6.
"I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do any thing. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more."- Dorothy Parker

7.
" Men seldom make passes to girls who wear glasses"- Dorothy Parker

8.
"She runs the gamut from A to B"- Dorothy Parker, speaking of Katherine Hepburn.

9.
"I require three things in man. He must be handsome, ruthless, and stupid"-Dorothy Parker,

10.
"Ducking for apples- change one letter and it's the story of my life-Dorothy Parker

11.
"One more drink and I'll be under the host"-Dorothy Parker

12.
"I went to convent in New York and was fired finally for my insistence that the Immaculate Conception was spontaneous combustion"-Dorothy Parker

13.
"Money cannot buy health, but I'll settle for a diamond studded wheelchair"-Dorothy Parker


Having again been immortalized on film in the 1994 feature Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle

the "The Algonquin Round Table" today retains its stature as one of the 20th-Century's most influential literary groups. As drama critic Brook Atkinson once wrote, "By force of character, they changed the nature of American comedy and established the tastes of a new period in the arts and theatre."

The Dorothy Parker Martini
1 oz. Vodka
½ oz. Chambord
1½ oz. Pineapple Juice
.


Credit: www.associatedcontent.com
www.arts.endow.gov
http://www.algonquinroundtable.org/

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, you are one of my winners! Please check out my blog today!

    I tried to email you but cannot seem to find your email address. Please email me at alphabetsoupstudio{at}yahoo{dot}ca so I can email you back all the information.

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete