Sunday, June 7, 2009

Are you eating your Vegetables?

From the New York Times...so it must be reliable....


The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating

Beets
Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Cinnamon
Pomegranate Juice
Prunes
Pumpkin Seeds
Sardines
Turmeric
Frozen Blueberries
Canned Pumpkin

I'll add maybe not eating or possibly not eating, because I know that I eat even some of them, so likely you are too. If you like beets (Close your eyes Lauren A.), here is a recipe that you will adore.

Beet Tartare

5 Medium beets - scrubbed, and roasted
1 small shallot chopped
4 Tbsp. Capers chopped
4 Tbsp. Cornichons chopped (dills)
1 Tbsp. Mayo
3 Tbsp. Parsley
1/4 tsp. Hot sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce

Wrap beets in aluminum foil and bake one hour (or until tender) at 400º.
Peel and quarter beets. Combine all ingredients in blender. Serve on toast.

This is the article from the Times that tells you how to enjoy these 11 foods, and to eat the beets raw. I'm doing my part eating them cooked, it's a bit like cream in the coffee - non negotiable. I am also rather dubious about the canned pumpkin bit.

New York Times Article

6 comments:

  1. Ma Soeur,
    The canned pumpkin might not be half bad. It is so like squash, in fact my mother used to say that she thought it was often squash rather than pumpkin in the can. When you combine it with those lovely spices, it would be like eating warm pumpkin pie. Would you like a little whipped cream on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on pumpkin and sunflower seeds. But the rest I eat, thanks for the recipe. I have a hard time with raw beets as well, imagine how red everything would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma Soeur,
    You see, this is the difference between you and me. You are the size of a minute and would actually eat canned pumpkin with lovely spices. I am the size of several hours and automatically add the spices and a few other things all poured into a CRUST and garnish with whipped cream! I'll be interested to hear how you like dinner tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me when I can safely open my eyes again!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed our little chat, Leslie dear. Roasted beets in a salad are also very nice - as a kid, we would eat pickled beets (aka "Harvard" beets in some cookbooks). Here's to good health!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why can't vegetables, (particularly beets) not taste like chocolate. They can make people flyt to the moon, clone sheep for goddness sake...

    ReplyDelete