Monday, June 8, 2009

The Unexpected Visitor

This morning as I was coming down the stairs, out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a HUGE pair of wings descending towards our yard. Luckily, the back patio door was open and as I headed through the dining room to ascertain what all the bird commotion was, I was truly startled to see this enormous visitor on our fence. You can click on the pictures to enlarge.


After a few frantic expletives, I was racing for my little camera, still in my purse from yesterday's outing. The first photo I was able to snap was through the screen at quite a distance, as I didn't want to scare my elegant gentleman? caller away.


My dumb little camera takes what seems like waaaay tooo loooong to recuperate and allow the next shot. But I managed to use the zoom and stay as still as one can whilst holding one's breath!


The next shot was the jinx. The flash went off and the jig was up. After landing on the roof of the garden shed, Mr. Heron flew off through the yards. I was the only person out there!


I excitedly phoned the professor to tell him of my luck at capturing this event. He may have thought to question my sanity had I not had this pictorial record of the landing, and subsequent departure. I think it must be a sign. I'm not sure what sign, just a sign.

11 comments:

  1. I suggest to you that this is not a heron, but a stork as they were sometimes called, and perhaps it is a sign. Or maybe he's lost his way and is on his way to Andrea's she is still in waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, actually there is a vast difference between herons and storks. This was a heron and The Professor thinks it's all because he hooked up the pineapple fountain yesterday. It's a sign of hospitality, and water, that's what these guys like. I'd love to see this fellow try and get in under the lilac bush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in signs, but often think we all lead such busy lives that we miss some of these signs because we aren't quiet enough or still enough. Oh, that sounds "new-agey" doesn't it? I don't mean it quite that way. Anyway, this is one beautiful bird and I hope he/she comes back for more visits!
    ==Lennie==

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pictures. I also saw him briefly last week as he flew off over our heads. Additionally, I undestand that another neighbour down the way has a goldfish pond in their backyard and I believe this house has been known to have seen your stately visitor in the past. It's likely that he is looking for tasty morsels which are easy pickings. Talk about a captive audience. Maybe he heard your fountain and thought you were also providing treats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad has been flipping from one pond to the next in search of the elusive heron as his preferred photographic subject. This year there is a definite lack of popular, exotic birds. Word has it that the cormorants have moved into town and are destroying the trees as well as bumping off the native birds. And the wildlife ministry are trying to control the Canada Geese populations by spraying oil on all but 3 eggs so that there will only be 3 hatched eggs from the usual 12. And I'm still trying to feed the pigeons. My dad will be very excited by your visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ma Soeur,
    What a wonderful sight! That certainly got your day off to an exciting start. As he/she is reported to be in the general vicinity, you will no doubt have your camera at the ready should your visitor happen to return in the near future. You don't even have to leave home to do some serious birding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he resembles good luck to you, my dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great pictures. He must have been looking for my neighbour's house. They have a pond with lots of fish and the heron like to raid it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coolest thing ever!
    dev

    ReplyDelete
  10. I showed John these photos last night and he said: "How come we've never seen a heron in our back garden?" Then he laughed and added: "Maybe you should leave a comment that Leslie actually Photoshoped the heron in." I replied: "No, one of these days I'm going to show her how to do it though."

    ReplyDelete