Sunday, September 13, 2009

Found One!

After having spent some time in the country over the summer, I became aware of a line of china that I never knew existed. "Shelley". My niece is named Shelley. One relative was sure that my Mum had purchased a "Shelley" for Shelley. I dutifully turned over every one of the 60 some odd tea cups and saucers in my collection. No Shelley. The hunt was on. Yesterday at the Christie Antique show there were many different patterns to choose from but this one seemed the most adorable. I had been warned by an experienced collector to keep my price down and avoid the higher priced tea cups and saucers. After perusing the entire hundred or so vendors, the Professor and I decided on our approach. Well, he did. The Professor doesn't mind bargaining, I do.


Came away having learned a lot. There are many more "Shelley's" out there than the odd vendor would have you believe, and they can be had within my price range. Now we've decided that this will be something else for us to look out for....Aberfoyle is having a Saturday one-day event September 26th.

Happy Birthday Shelley!

4 comments:

  1. My parents' wedding set was Shelley (from 1950) and mom left the set to me. The cups and saucers are particularly nicely shaped with a sort of scalloped edging. My pattern is blue daisy. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents' wedding set was Shelley (from 1950) and mom left the set to me. The cups and saucers are particularly nicely shaped with a sort of scalloped edging. My pattern is blue daisy. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come across some Shelley in my travels as well, but you know I have boys so I don't jump at teacups too often they have to sweep me off my feet and say buy me.

    ReplyDelete