Monday, September 28, 2009

Road Trip!

We're off again....soon...not right now...end of the month sometime...for all of you who were surprised to see me at the gym today! I posted this so that I could get good ideas of places to go, eat, shop ...whatever. I am marking down all the ideas in my Chicago 2009 Fodor's book that the Professor got me for my birthday.


Plans are for The Art Institute of Chicago, Hancock Tower for the view and the luncheon buffet, The Architectural Boat Tour, Shopping on the Magnificent Mile...especially the American Girl Store...bitty babies....out to Oak Park and the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio tour, as well as Hemingway's birthplace and museum. Blueman Group is playing at the Briar Street Theatre.

Where are your favourite Chicago stops...especially eateries???
Deep Dish Pizza, Hot Dogs and Steak are supposedly de rigeur in Chi Town!

Gourmet Magazine
“Your Guide to America’s Best Restaurants”

“New York may be a pastrami town, but in Chicago the basic currency is corned beef, mountains of it, sliced thin enough to see through and piled on fresh rye bread. Manny’s, a cafeteria- style delicatessen, has absolutely splendid corned beef, carved before your eyes, as well as Friday-only short ribs worthy of a starred French chef and greasy, irresistible potato pancakes.”

6 comments:

  1. Go check out Paper Source. A great store and there is a paint store, like Curry's across the street. Restaurant? Maybe they sell hotdogs on the corner.....?
    http://www.paper-source.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago Chop House (on Ontario) is supposed to be really good for steaks. Sounds like you'll have a blast!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since I was in Chicago, and of coarse I was with my brother, so we didn't eat out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really excited about this trip. Chicaago looks like a great city and whenever we are with you we always have a super fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Aquarium -- I went to a seahorse exhibition there a few years ago and I could have spent all day just in that room! My daughter however, rushed me through.....
    Have fun! I plan to go next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the you tube video and can't wait to hear all about your trip! Have a slice of famous deep dish Chicago style pizza for me!!

    ReplyDelete