Sunday, March 28, 2010

Remembering the days...............

On a sunny fall Princeton afternoon a friendship developed that would last forty years, this year. That evening, I was making "Greco" and Dana and her husband David, out for a stroll, accepted an invitation to join us for dinner. This week, Dana is in town and we celebrated with "Greco" once again. It tastes better and better each year.
"Greco"
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 or 2 small cans mushrooms, drained
2 cups large shell macaroni
3 cans Tomato sauce (when cans were small)
1 can cream style corn
sharp cheese
1 pound ground round or chuck

Fry onion and green pepper in small amount of oil until glossy.
Brown ground meat in above. Keep moving to prevent burning.
Add mushrooms and remove from heat.
Boil macaroni until tender. Drain and add to above.
Add Tomato sauce and corn and mix all well.
Place in greased casserole and refrigerate.

When ready to bake, grate lots of sharp cheese on top and place in 300º oven for 1 hour.

Serves 6


This dish which was first made by my sister-in-law and served on a boat on Lake Deschenes in Ottawa has become a family homecoming request. It was from the cookbook "Make It Now - Bake It Later!" by Barbara Goodfellow.

This recipe was what we could afford in graduate school in the late 60's when "hamburger" was 59 cents a pound. It sounds a bit weird, what with cream style corn and all, but it's one of those comfort food dishes that just hit the spot.

Dana and I will be out and about playing "tourist" this week. I never see the city the way I do when guests are here :)

12 comments:

  1. The old recipes are the best! Wonderful photograph, wonderful food, wonderful memories, wonderful friends. Hello Dana! Have a great time in the Big Smoke! :-)
    ==lennie==

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun photo - three cheers for friends and for friendship!!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma Soeur,
    Glad to hear you are having a great reunion with your dear friend Dana. I remember making "Greco" quite a while ago, so must try it again. Thanks for the reminder and have fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great visit. And do celebrate your 40th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there you have it. I'm a visitor...40 years and I'm still a visitor. Without family status we continue without a need to fight. Leslie is indeed dearer than a sister...with those first laughs at the defizzed soda we bonded for life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe mom, now I can make greco for zoë!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, to be lucky enough to have a friendship that has lasted 40 years is rare indeed! Have wonderful visit. My childhood doctor was named Dr. Luigi Greco. I wonder if that means he would approve of your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, just noticed forgot the "a" in Have "a" wonderful visit. Sorry, I hate mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you and Dana have a fun visit, and a wonderful celebration of your 40 years of a beautiful friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made Greco for dinner last night - delicious!!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to mention that the picture of the two of us was taken in a mall in Ontario. We were both young mothers. The reason I remember is that I'd commented that being at the mall was just like being in the US but you said everyone would know immediately that I was from the States because of my manner of dress...I had on a royal blue sweater over a white shirt with the sleeves pushed up. I had tan bermudas with no socks and deck shoes...my usual outfit and I didn't understand why anyone would know.

    ReplyDelete