Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Who I am

The Professor has been doing a lot of genealogy these past few years and I'm never very interested until he pulls out something I like about my ancestry. We recently got watching Who Do You Think You Are and really love hearing about the family histories of the celebrities.


Ancestry.com is the link that The Prof. thinks is the best. After a discussion about Vimy Ridge, he came up with, and posted this latest account of one of my relatives who was in the first world war. With permission, I've changed a bit of the text to refer to my own ancestor, my grandfather's cousin.

Lance Corporal Robert Alexander Hood (1895 - 1917)

Robert Alexander Hood (a cousin of my paternal grandfather) was born in 1895 in a small village north-west of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. He went to France in 1916 when he was only 21 years old. Robert fought with the 73rd Battalion and he was killed in action at Vimy Ridge, April 12, in 1917.

Canadians "celebrate" the battle of Vimy Ridge as a great Canadian victory. It was part of the larger Battle of Arras, which in turn was a diversionary attack in support of the larger Nivelle Offensive carried out by the French Army. About 3,600 young Canadian men were killed during the four day battle and 7,000 more were wounded. This is just a small fraction of the casualties on both sides during World War I.


We need to be very careful not to glorify war while remembering all those young men and women who died in a war that never should have been fought. We will eventually go to Arras and visit the large memorial erected by the Canadian government. The deaths of soldiers like Robert Alexander Hood should never have happened.


I just found a picture of Robert. I actually may have a photo in a grouping of old photos that no one in the family recongnize at this point, but in ferreting out a few details, we may have come across a resource at the Wellington County Museum.

James, Robert Alexander, Mary Ann and James Robinson Hood 1911


Robert Alexander Hood in military uniform

I'm posting this today, because "Who Do You Think You Are" is on tonight. It's a great show, and sure to get you wondering where you came from. We're off to the Wellington County Museum, photos in hand this weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous post Leslie, and the photos are perfect. I'm so glad you have this piece of your family history. I think as we get older, our fascination with our past increases. Good luck with the weekend research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie
    When we traced back our ancestry we got as far as the 14th century. Then the records became harder to find. We did find out we have some French blood. Not aristocracy though..., more like some "loose woman" !! Go figure, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! what great news, it's so momentous when we find something like this. Go Professor Moran.

    ReplyDelete