Saturday, May 29, 2010

For Gordon

Thanks to Lennie, I was alerted to this song that never made it past the American Idol auditions, but was aired on the Finale show. It is just too funny. I went through this stage with my son in his late high school and early McGill years. There were times when it was actually dangerous for him to take escalators. We were all a little embarrassed, but he was convinced and intractable about his fashion sense.



In case you have trouble understanding the lyrics, here they are:
Pants on the ground
Lookin’ like a fool with your pants on the ground

With the gold in your mouth, hat turned sideways
Pants hit the ground, call yourself a cool cat
Lookin’ like a fool, walkin’ to the town
With your pants on the ground!

I still see this "style"??? being sported, and am so happy to see this fun spirited indictment of this way of dressing. Fortunately for me, it's not on my son anymore. I still like the preppy look, but lost that battle around grade 6.

'Mr. pants' is currently gainfully employed as a computer game designer in Vancouver.

"ModNation Racers" on shelves May 25th in North America and May 21st in Europe took home the award for Most Promising Game 2010 at the Canadian Video Game Awards. Guess it doesn't matter what you wear :) We're so proud of you!!!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to Gordon!!

    Thanks to you, I now -- once again -- have that song stuck in my head. Pants on the ground, pants on the ground.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song, Jimmy Falon does it as Neil Young. I loved that style, just because I didn't have to make the pants fit anymore, with skinny Daniel all his pants look like their hangin'. Neither of my guys quite got to the pants on the ground style, highschool uniforms I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, if you wait long enough things like 'pants on the ground', hair to the waist and piercings in various places will all go away..... When we were busy parenting teenagers we seemed to think that we had some measure of control. I realize now that 'some' is the operative word here. Good times and good memories.

    ReplyDelete