Monday, May 10, 2010

Lilacs at dusk

When you are not an early morning gardener, but become overwhelmed by the scent of lilacs in the early evening, you have to use your low light camera settings just to capture the aroma.






Robert Barrett Browning

Oh to be in England,
..............................................
And after April, when May follows,
And the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows!
Hark, where my blossomed pear-tree in the hedge,
Leans to the field and scatters on the clover,
Blossoms and dewdrops - at the bent spray's edge -
That's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
Lest you should think he never could recapture
The first fine careless rapture!
And though the fields look rough with hoary dew,
All will be gay when the noontide wakes anew
The buttercups, the little children's dower -
Far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!


The birds are building, the fruit trees in bloom and even though not in England, it's a wonderful world.

5 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL SHOTS,LESLIE....FLOWERS AND PLANTS MAKE LOVELY STILL SHOTS...IT IS ONE OF MY PASSIONS,AS YOU KNOW.......LINDA K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garden smells always bring us closer.
    As do chocolate odors from the oven...
    Coffee aromas do the trick....
    And eau de newborn.....

    Great shots sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me with these beautiful pictures. Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers. I await their blooms and sweet aroma in my garden every spring and they never disappoint!!!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic; just looking at them, I can SMELL them! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of Lilac. Both my neighbours on either side of my house, have them at the front. It's a lovely scent. I wish I have the space for lilac bush.

    ReplyDelete