Monday, June 28, 2010

Getting there

This is a technique in Old English Smocking called "Back Smocking". After the dots are pulled up, you embroider (smock) on the tops of the pleats using simple sewing thread to secure the pleats on the wrong side of the garment, thus ensuring a neat appearance and more solidity on the front.


On the right side of the piece I had to choose my own colour scheme and follow the pattern given.


This will eventually become a small needle case. It was a really great beginner class and did brush up my skills. Judith Marquis is a teacher extraordinaire. I highly recommend her. She has many wonderful classes and supplies...


even a pattern for the American Girl Doll and matching little owner dress! I figure the little girl in this picture is old enough that I'll be able to keep ahead of Zoë's growth provided I really focus!

I'll start with the baby bishop in the fall and hopefully Zoë will sport one similar to what her Mummy wore on her first birthday. Inspiration abounds!

Photo Credit: Amberlane and Amberpetites

11 comments:

  1. Freakin' amazing! I am in awe of your needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo. I can't believe you did that! What a talent you are and baby Zoe will look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done. It is a Sh_t load of work isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always adored smocking. I am very impressed, Leslie!! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I'm impressed. I love smocked dresses. We had smocked baby nightgowns which were smocked by my children's great gramma. They were used and handed down until they finally wore out. She made 12 of them. In those days we dressed our babies in just a nightie and diaper.Beautiful work Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. allright leslie....quit "smocking around" and get ready for your european vacation!! we talked about all the smocked things we had for our kids,and how we gave them all away...GOOD FOR YOU...keep up the good work

    linda k

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, does this bring back memories. My mom used to do this and I had several dresses like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is unbelievable Leslie!!! Zoe is going to look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a gorgeous little dress with beautiful smocking,which I believe you made for me....some forty-%&@! years ago. I will have to take a picture and send it to you...but I am positive you were the talented seamstress for my one and only smocked dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work, Leslie...how do you do it, cannot imagine what it takes to do that. Indeed, keep up the good work, my dear!

    David

    ReplyDelete