Sunday, August 15, 2010

Answering some questions

I've never been completely attracted to abstract art in it's 'usual' contemporary form. One cannot go to Santa Fe without a trip to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum. After all Georgia IS Santa Fe, and the southwest. I have always loved Georgia's flowers...


“I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.” (Georgia O'Keefe 1887-1986)

At this time, the museum is featuring a collection of O'Keefe's abstracts. I was prepared to be enlightened if not a little disappointed. Instead, after a wonderful presentation by a docent and a short film clip, I came away understanding. Understanding a bit more about the artist, her viewpoint, and her technique.

“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.” Georgia O'Keeffe (American Painter, 1887-1986)

This collection comprises a myriad of styles and paintings from collections all over the world and just happens to be at the O'Keefe Museum, Santa Fe at this time.


I'm still not sure how "Sky Above Clouds" from the Chicago Art Institute ends up being such a celebrated work, I did however see the inspiration for it, just as Georgia had. From my airplane window, as I flew off into the sunset.

4 comments:

  1. The older I get the more color means to me. Sometimes the energy of a room in brilliant color is palpable. I have been so much happier at work since painting two of my huge walls electric lime and hanging gorgeous colored art in reds, oranges, purples, blues and yellow. I never mind going in each day.

    I never think of O'Keefe wearing all the colors, but keeping them within vision.

    I was happy to see your reaction to her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a huge fan of O'Keefe's work. I would love to see the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan and should I ever find myself anywhere near New Mexico, a trip to Santa Fe is now a must, specifically to see this gallery/museum. I find O'Keefe's colours so affirming and so, so inspiring. Thanks SO much for sharing this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today is important and you are on my mind. Flowers and colors.

    ReplyDelete