Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The night before....

There were so many festivities leading up to this magnificent event that it began to feel a bit like the anticipation of Christmas! This was one of my favourite parts. A true art, no two hands are the same.

There is evidence that mehndi as a ceremonial art form originated in ancient India.


Henna paste is usually applied on the skin using a plastic cone or a paint brush, but sometimes a small metal-tipped jacquard bottle used for silk painting (a jac bottle) is employed. The painted area is then wrapped with tissue, plastic, or medical tape to lock in body heat, creating a more intense colour on the skin. The wrap is worn three to six hours, or sometimes overnight and then removed. When first removed, the henna design is pale to dark orange in colour and gradually darkens through oxidation, over the course of 24 to 72 hours. The final colour is reddish brown and can last anywhere from one to three weeks depending on the quality and type of henna paste applied, as well as where it was applied on the body (thicker skin stains darker and longer than thin skin).


Mother and Sister of the Groom


Intricate patterns of mehndi are typically applied to brides before wedding ceremonies.
One of The Bride's Hands...

The Groom's name is interwoven in the design and is only revealed on the wedding day. It was a little tricky eating with all the wet henna on our hands, but of course we persevered! :)

Explanation: Wikepedia
Photos: Mine

6 comments:

  1. Ma Soeur,
    The henna design is a constant reminder of a most memorable evening. I am happy to report that mine is still quite dark. I wonder if the groom has managed to find his name yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day, I would love to experience this! Can we see a photo of your hand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again said...Can we see a photo of your hand?

    Why of course...but I have to tell you that I should have eaten and taken all the photos I wanted BEFORE I had my hand done! You'll have to wait until I unload my iphone.....better still...get over here and help me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the hand in person. It was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! They are on your iPhone! I look forward to seeing them......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I saw the hand in person too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete