Sunday, September 26, 2010

Worth the while

Now that Netflix is finally in Canada I can keep up with all my US friends' recommendations.


I joined Zip.ca on the One-DVD-a-month-plan, which ends up being cheaper than Rogers...AND most importantly, I can get obscure titles which are not available elsewhere. The DVD's are delivered in the mail and returned the same way. So far the process has been wonderful.

I love foreign films and sub-titled movies and this program really fills the bill. I had read "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery and was delighted to know that there is a french film "Le Hérisson". The musical score is by Gabriel Yared who is also a movie music guru of sorts, having done the scores to many popular releases.


I found the movie adorable, for it's quirkiness and wonderful character study. I think my artsy friends who enjoy journaling, photography, and drawing will all find something intriguing in this one.

My Current Zip List:

An Angel at My Table (1990)
Temple Grandin (2010)
Villa Amalia (2009)
Mao's Last Dancer (2010)
Love Me If You Dare (Jeu d'enfants) (2004)
I Am Love (Io sono l'amore) (2010)
The Statement (2004)
Letters to Juliet

Any other recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book. I watched much of the movie on the plane this summer (it was in French with no subtitles and my french is a bit rusty), Sorry, no recommendations from me. No time for movies in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might have mentioned this before, but I love "The Earrings of Madame de _______." - in French. Lush costumes, waltzes, intrigue...right up your alley, methinks. You can catch a bit of it on YouTube.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no recommendation for you but do want to thank you for the Zip.ca lead. I am disappointed in Netflix's Canadian launch for two reasons; firstly, they are only offering streaming video, no DVDs as they do in the US, and more importantly, at least for me, their shameful publicity stunt at their launch left a sour taste in my mouth and therefore I have no desire to support them by giving them my business :-)
    I am off to check out Zip's site......

    My word verification is "artansf" ... does this mean an arty trip to San Francisco is in the works?? Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent list. You're gonna love Zip! (I'm a HUGE fan of Janet Frame, btw)

    ReplyDelete