Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Quintessential Diner

Today after workout class, one of the topics over coffee was why diners don't thrive in Canada they way they do in the US. This in response to the food network show
Diners-Drive-ins-and-Dives.



While in Albuquerque this summer, we spied this diner and wheeled in to get a cool drink. We LOVE diners!


I love counter stools, although a booth is still my favourite.



The Pez Collection above the counter.



The perfect setting. THIS is the turquoise colour I'm loving - nostalgia.



Betty Boop at your service



This is the way a REAL milkshake is made and served.



And Oh....the pie cupboard. There was one on Route 1 in Princeton that actually rotated inside. I could never decide.


But this is Route 66!



Where you get your kicks PICS!



I LOVE this idea!


Indeed, why DON'T diners flourish in Canada as they do in the US???

5 comments:

  1. I love watching "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". It never ceases to amaze me how gargantuan the portions are! When I was in grade school, one of my friends owned a diner that was conveniently located two doors down from our house, on the old highway 144 in Sudbury. All the truckers used to stop there. I remember the greasy smell and how much fun it was to twirl on the stools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know how I feel about diners! I live for diners :-)
    FABULOUS photos that absolutely make me swoon....I so wish I could have been there!
    We have our favourite diner here in Scarborough (where we had bacon and eggs today, as a matter of fact) and we have our favourite diner in Florida. But there are so many more out there to discover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear you ARE losing your memory bit by bit. If I recall we chose the cheesecake everytime we visited the Princeton Diner. Am I right or wrong???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, one of the girls said...
    Oh dear you ARE losing your memory bit by bit.

    Yes, I am (losing my mind..in BIG CHUNKS just like cheesecake servings!) I'm pretty sure I always ordered lemon meringue at the Diner. Wasn't it King's Court and cheesecake????

    That's where I lost a lot of things:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Down here in the Lower 48, we mourn the loss of your basic cafeteria...they are few and far between. Sometimes, that sort of fare hits the spot. Has Canada suffered a similar fate?

    ReplyDelete