Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sounds like.........


Another good thing about having "techy" kids home over the holidays is how much they can help with the settings on your iPhone.

I now know how to text! I think I knew how on my old phone, but this issue has somehow eluded me with the change to my multi functional purse companion. I hardly ever use the phone as a phone, more of an emergency thing. First and foremost, my iPhone is an iPod...but that is another post.

Now, when a text message comes in, there is a horn that reminds me of Clarabell the clown. If you know who Clarabell is, then you are of a "certain" vintage. Those of you who said "YES, I do remember Clarabell!" will appreciate that we actually all DID look like this in the day :)

Any of those kids in the "Peanut Gallery" could be me or my little brother. We belted it out just like that! I especially smile at the hairdos. They boys with their neat heads and the girls with their page boys and bobs! Buffalo Bob: Say kids, what time is it? Kids: It's Howdy Doody Time!
It's Howdy Doody Time. It's Howdy Doody Time. Bob Smith and Howdy Do Say Howdy Do to you. Let's give a rousing cheer, Cause Howdy Doody's here, It's time to start the show, So kids let's go!
This is the sound that my son set my incoming texts to! It makes me laugh every time! Little did he know that as techy as he is, he was going "vintage"!
My phone is now called Clarabell.

7 comments:

  1. I love that show. I still belt it out and I still don't know the words that aren't loud and obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was on the Howdy Doody show and was shocked to see all those strings attached to him. I must have been younger than you. Clarabell gave me the creeps. I can see why people are afraid of clowns to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma Soeur,
    I had a friend who adored Clarabell, so there we are, different stokes for different folks. Was Howdy Doody on before or after Roy Rogers?
    Texting is a frequent pastime for the man of the house here, and I must admit to using it occasionally myself and shocking a few of my friends. It is quite handy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I knew your phone number I would send you a text. I love sending texts!! But I don't know your number so I can't ;(

    dev

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that bell. It's a classic show.

    bTW. I also got an iPhone and it's hilarious how pathetic I am with texting, compared to my niece and nephew texting during the holidays. My niece was laughing at me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if you know Susy's friend Monica, but if you do, her maiden name is Scopp...And, in the Canadian version of Howdy Doody, Clarabell was played by her Uncle Alfie Scopp.
    One of the many culture shocking things that I learned when I came to Canada after marrying the love of my life Susy was that Canada had its own version of Howdy Doody. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Leslie This was quite the blast from the past. I watched Howdy Doody all the time. Those were the good old days

    ReplyDelete