Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Vegetarian Chili

A while back, we had a wonderful taste of vegetarian chili. When the diet comes out, the chili recipe does too. This one was given to me by a friend at the gym in response to all things crock pot. We are working our way through a ginormous pot of this at the moment. If you are not watching your caloires, you can fancy it up with sour cream and grated cheese. It's fabulous, and The Professor will eat it despite it's not having meat in it.



2 medium white onions diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 medium sweet potatoes diced
2 medium zucchini diced
1 cup small cauliflower florets
1 red pepper diced
1 green pepper diced
1 cup frozen corn niblets
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 720 ml jar tomato passata (passata was new to me, but it's fabulous puree)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 can Heinz baked bean in tomato sauce
1 can red kidney beans drained
1 can black beans drained
3 Tbsp. chili powder
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Sauté onions and garlic in 2 Tbsp. oil for five minutes. Add diced vegetables and canned tomatoes, passata, and tomato paste. Add chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to boil, turn heat down and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

To cook in crock pot, sauté onion in garlic in a pan. Add to crock pot with all other ingredients. Turn heat to high, when bubbling, turn heat to medium for 6 hours.

Freezes well.


I have no idea how many this recipe serves as I usually add more, and different beans and vegetables than it calls for. It's one of those dishes that never seem to reduce in size no matter how long you dip away at it! Either use it to feed a crowd, or be in the mood for lots and lots of chili!!!


Thanks to LG

7 comments:

  1. I, too, have just made a chili. Not as elaborate as yours but I added chipoltle chili flakes which I found at Winners, of all places. Nice smokey flavour. Is it also good for the digestion? I heard that someplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sweet potato twist. Gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chili is a favourite with the captain, although I usually make it with beef (and sometimes with bacon too). This looks good and as I will now be looking for nourishing and warming meals in a few days, I will print this off when I get home. Can't hurt that it looks healthy too! (Although there is that sweet potato...don't know if I can get that by the captain.........)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't have meat?!!!!

    You never told me that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, that what we have today. Do you try to convert your family into vegetarians? Good luck!
    That looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this recipe. John has been a vegetarian for 35 years and it's always a challenge coming up with something new, I do make vegetarian chili but I'm tired of mine.
    P.S. Salsa is good with the grated cheese and the sour cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judith has used the sweet potatoes in chili for years and it makes ALL the difference.

    ReplyDelete