Thursday, May 5, 2011

More Washington

Now that the wedding hysteria is over, it's back to Washington, DC.

One day, between rain showers, I visited the Phillips Collection in the Dupont Circle area of the city.




The building itself is worth a visit



David and I decided to take the tour which focused on one painting in the gallery. I have to say, that unless directed to this piece, it is one I may have walked past without further ado. The curator talk was totally fascinating. She gave our small intimate group a few minutes to study the piece and then we all discussed our observations. It was wonderful. From the historical perspective, and the artistic perspective, I have to say Daumier is an artist that I knew little about.

Honoré Daumier (February 26, 1808 – February 10, 1879) was a French printmaker, caricaturist, painter, and sculptor, whose many works offer commentary on social and political life in France in the 19th century.
We all got it right except for a few details in the painting which were expertly pointed out. The figure in the bottom right is not a woman, but a man, beating a drum to attract attention to the wrestler who will take on all comers. You just have to enter the held up tent flap to partake of the competition. The piece is quite dark, so having some instruction as to where to look was most helpful.



As you leave the gallery, keep your eyes open for more intriguing sculpture in a garden just across the street.



Washington, DC....one of the best places to visit at any time of year!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I make it a point to visit art whenever I am traveling, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to visit Toronto as well and have had many, many happy times.

    DC is also spectacular place to live and it's often visitors who help bring it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever video...makes art history even more fun! Glad you enjoyed our little outing that day, Leslie.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just another reason why I want to visit DC, a place I've never been. Unless a layover at Reagan where you never even leave the plane counts......and I'm sure that doesn't really count at all. All those museums and art galleries are just calling my name! Thanks for giving me one more to add to my list.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete