Friday, June 17, 2011

What are you reading for the summer?

Oprah's summer reading list just came out with books that I was unfamiliar with. I love recommendations, so I will look these up. See list at bottom of post.

I just finished the second in the heroine "Flavia de Luce" books. They are totally charming and such a quick and easy read. They would be on my summer list. I will be looking for the third book at the next bookstore outing.




Book Number One


“Bradley’s outstanding third Flavia de Luce mystery set in post-WWII rural England . . . In this marvelous blend of whimsy and mystery, Flavia manages to operate successfully in the adult world of crimes and passions while dodging the childhood pitfalls set by her sisters.”
— Publishers Weekly, starred review



Are you influenced by the cover? I love the colours of this series. Enough to make me want to pick them up. I noticed that as I compiled the list of Oprah's picks, not adding the cover left something missing. See what you think. Never judge a book by it's cover...hmmmm. I think I do.

I also enjoyed "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand". My very own aunt has self-published a murder mystery "Missionary Cay". As far as I know, it is a limited run, so if you wish to borrow my copy you'll have to come for a martini!


This is Oprah's list. If anyone has read and enjoyed any of these, please let me know what you think.

Conquistadora
By Esmeralda Santiago
432 pages; Knopf

A Small Hotel by Robert Olen Butler
Robert Olen Butler
256 pages

Untold Story by Monica Ali
Monica Ali
272 pages

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit by Mark Seal
Mark Seal
336 pages

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Liane Moriarty
432 pages

A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano
Ann Napolitano
336 pages

The Astral by Kate Christensen
Kate Christensen
320 pages

Sister by Rosamund Lipton
Rosamund Lupton
336 pages

Bomboozled by Susan Roy
Susan Roy
176 pages

In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
Erik Larson
464 pages

The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson
Jean Thompson
336 pages

Big Machine by Victor LaValle
Victor LaValle
384 pages

Someday This Will Be Funny by Lynne Tillman
Lynne Tillman
160 pages

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai
Rebecca Makkai
336 pages

Happy summer reading everyone!

4 comments:

  1. OK that's it. I am getting the Flavia de Luce books. You are absolutely correct in saying that the colors alone are enough to make one want to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of a book totally helps in my decision of whether to buy it or not. Sometimes mistakenly, alas! Loved the first Flavia de Luce book and definately want to read the others! I would love to read your aunt's book but I NEVER see you anymore to, perhaps, borrow it! Thanks for the book list. Awesome!

    dev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Leslie. I can't wait to start reading.

    Happy first day of summer!!!!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in time. Book club is Friday. We don't meet in the summer but we are discussing our picks for our next year starting in the fall. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete