Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Down and Out of it.....

Back from a busy summer of worldwide travel and I'm felled with pneumonia! The words "six to eight weeks of rest" are not real to me yet.

I've spent the last two weeks on the couch variously in and out of dopey codeine sleep and paroxysms of coughing. The problem is that you can't lie down, so 'propping' is the challenge. I'm not going to spend any more time on the details, suffice it to say I haven't had a head for blogging in some time. I can't talk either, no voice...only coughing.


Yesterday I had some sort of weird free associated (probably drug induced) memory of a friend who was collecting and decorating her cottage with vintage paint by numbers canvas'. I was feeling just well enough to try some small activity and remembered having seen a very inexpensive kit at Wal Mart some time ago. The Professor couldn't decide if I'd finally gone completely mad or just temporarily GaGa, but seeing it as a sign of slight recuperation, set out to find whatever it was that I wanted. To be honest, I think he is still atoning for bringing home blue jello.


Wal Mart really let me down, but just around the corner the $$$ store had a few rather cheesy kits. I'm now working on the one with the Tiger in the bushes, nothing as handsome as this one, but just to give you some intricate idea. Having painted in the past, I'm always amazed at the non-quality of the brushes one is given to perform the task at hand. The brush is rather like a too large worn out toothbrush, all frazzled and losing hair. But that's the challenge. I was going to go and find my better brushes but decided NO....THIS is the game.

I hope my friend likes Tigers.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! so happy to see you blogging again. I hope this means you will be on your road to recovery. Just remember to take it easy and eat cake, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are almost back, I hope, if blogging anew means anything. Paint that tiger and feel your health returning! Yippee, we will hopefully see you soon!

    dev

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO take care, my dear - holy moley, I know that is rather scary stuff you are dealing with, health-wise (not the paint-by-numbers kit). Yes, I remember those worthless little brushes! The scent of the paint was rather noxious, but somehow intoxicating...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you'll feel better soon :) Must be due to missing little grand daughter :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Princeton Tiger no less. Great beginning. I believe you are over the absolute worst when, as you say, you simply can't get comfortable and be involved in any part of life, totally dependent. Time will pass and you will compare your health to recent events and not full robust life when we tend to focus on feeling just a little tired on some days. You will notice progress. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you have a little more "tiger in your tank" and are ready to take on the world of art by small degrees. Today is a beautiful day for painting on the patio with a fancy glass of lemonade at the ready...tasty and medicinal. Embrace the day, but don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there some connection with your feeling the need to paint a Tiger now that we've taken Myles back home. Do you need your therapy dog back? He is available for sleep overs, just let us know.
    Feel Better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie Hope you feel better soon. Glad to see you are blogging again. Miss you at fitness and Tim's. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the 60s my mother was crazy into paint by number kits...feel better soon my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a good sign that you have the energy to invest in some art therapy again but if you decide to become an instructor in paint-by-number I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that one. Bask in the sun and snooze my friend, it will do you a world of good. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete