Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Twirly Scarf Saga

It all started with a quick trip to Chautauqua this summer. I always see what the latest knitting trends are in the shops there. Sadly, upstate New York and the lake area showed signs of real economic turn-down this year. Many of my little haunts were either closed or totally uprooted. One remaining store had an easy "flippy" scarf that is perfect for knitting while listening to lectures. Of course, the wool that the sample was knit from was no longer available so I decided that this colourful yarn with a bit of silk in it would be fine. The colours are what attracted me more than the piece. I'm not sure if or when I will ever actually wear this, but the combination of hues is inspiring.


The other attraction is that it was knit on darling little Am6/4mm (7 inch long) bamboo needles. I'd never done that before either!


A project gone horribly wrong became the second swirly scarf, just to see how this variegated yarn would turn out. It's heavier guage, so I just used the needle size called for in the baby sweater pattern.



The easy little swirly scarf is a good pattern to use up some of your bits and bobs of wool, or as I did, just another use when the intended went wrong.

Here is the pattern:

Cast on 22 Stitches
K4 Turn
K6 Turn
K8 Turn
Knit all 22 Stitches

Keep repeating until all your yarn is used up. It will twist and turn on it's own.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! You have inspired me to start knitting again. Thanks. My word verification is "kiess" So a kiss I send to you. I hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet. I like the way you look in these little dandies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That style scarf is rather "in" these days, very nice! Those needles must look like chopsticks or something...

    David

    ReplyDelete