Friday, December 23, 2011

Had any Earworms lately?

Before you have to go an look up the legitimacy of the word, this is how Wikipedia defines it:

"A haunting melody or earworm is a piece of music that sticks in one's mind so that one seems to hear it, even when it is not being played. Other phrases used to describe this include musical imagery repetition and involuntary musical imagery. The phenomenon is common in normal life and so may be distinguished from brain damage which results in palinacousis."




My own "case of the worm" started with "Caballero"...one of our ballroom line dance melodies. I tried everything to vanquish it. I'd get up in the middle of the night and dance in the dark living room to try and squelch it. I'd sing it out loud, or use my inside voice...nothing worked for days. When I mentioned "Earworm" in class, no one had heard of this word for the syndrome before.

Now there is every risk of it becoming Frosty the Snowman....Thumpity Thump Thump...


Photo Credit: The Web

1 comment:

  1. my earworm is from one of the Bass-Rankin Christmas specials the kids and I watched 100 times in teh early 80's...goes something like this:

    "jingle jangle jingle
    I am old kris kringle
    I'm the king of ding a ling"

    I am sure there are words missing...but that it was I sing out loud and in my head all year long...

    try it...it is very catchy!!
    it also suits me to a tee!!!

    HO HO HO :O)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete