Friday, January 20, 2012

All things Russian

I'm so happy that I defied last weeks slushy snowstorm and braved a trip on the train and subway to see the Chagall exhibit at the AGO. It was a real history lesson for me as well as a visual inspiration. I am currently reading all things "Catherine The Great", and, as synchronicity would have it, Chagall's Russian ancestry intertwines perfectly with my obsession.


Double portrait with wine glass


There is nothing like seeing the vibrant colours of the real thing, but these were two of the most dramatic paintings in the collection.

A friend pointed me towards an audio presentation about Chagall that is very much like a lecture you might hear at Chautauqua. This is Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde. Well worth the time to reacquaint oneself with this part of history.



Hat Tip: JS

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you!! I 'm sorry I missed this. The last time I saw Chagall was at the Peggy Guggenheim in Venice. In her home they have displayed one of his paintings entitled " Rain". It's quite amazing!!!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally made it to the AGO! heh heh

    ReplyDelete