Monday, January 30, 2012

Just a bowl of cherries

Life is just a bowl of cherries. Thanks to Lauren A's recommendation, I still had a huge bag of frozen cherries from Costco that stared me in the face every time I opened the door to fish out yet one more "clear-out-the-freezer-item". The weekend was uneventful, between snow showers, cozy to be inside. There was tons of figure skating on television and my favourite Sunday evening crop of shows....The SAG awards, Downton Abbey, The Good Wife, PanAm, and I previewed the latest HBO "Luck" with Dustin Hoffman....

How about a cherry cobbler?


Ingredients
Filling:

6 cups tart red cherries, pitted
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Topping:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a saucepan combine filling ingredients and cook, stirring until bubbling and thickened. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish. Meanwhile, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until it is crumbly. Mix together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until combined. Drop topping by tablespoonfuls onto filling. Bake for 25 minutes until browned and bubbly.


Lauren A. {the beet hater} will be glad to see that I added a pastry topping to her version of the low-fat dessert delight.... "Cherries on Vanilla Yogurt Ice Cream". Lauren, I think I've improved the weekend treat :) You knew I would :)

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Photo Credit: http://bakinandeggs.com

6 comments:

  1. Yum. Much better than the beet recipe!

    Lauren A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like to try this with roasted beets as well since they are sweeter than tart cherries....just saying. But back to this version I'd be delighted to have it served.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cherries I used were not actually tart. I decreased the sugar slightly. Since mine were frozen berries, I would also decrease the amount of water next time too. I still have a slice left. Come over!

    ReplyDelete