Thursday, March 22, 2012

Beauty Virtues

Sunday past, I attended a wonderful production of "The Sleeping Beauty" performed by the National Ballet of Canada. Prior to performances there are "ballet talks" and this one was exceptional. Even if you know the classical ballet, it is always a bonus to hear the interpretation of the company.


The Fairies gave the following virtues to the baby princess Aurora at her Christening.

Candide.... bestowed Purity

Coulante...A whirlwind of vitality

Breadcrumb...Generosity

Canary....Eloquence

Violante...Energy

Lilac Fairy....Wisdom and Radiance


It was pointed out that being given these virtues is a wonderful gift, but in order to make them "work" one has to live them. Aurora brings all of these virtues to life. I'm thinking we should all aspire to live like this.


If you click on the link I have added, (under videos, choose 2010 rehearsal) you can watch the explanation of the "Rose Adagio" by principal dancer Heather Ogden. I can tell you that everyone in the audience holds their breath until this extremely difficult maneuver is performed and then APPLAUSE!!!!

I CANNOT WAIT to take my granddaughter to the ballet. She is already showing signs of great music and physicality.

The Rose Adagio Explained


Photo Credits: Web Media

1 comment:

  1. This looks marvelous! I wish Kennedy Center ballet tix weren't so doggone expensive. For now, thank you, public broadcasting, for bringing the ballet into my living room now and then!

    ReplyDelete