Thursday, August 30, 2012

Don't miss it. Look up!

"Your last chance to see a blue moon until 2015 will come around this Friday (Aug. 31), but don't expect an azure hue in the sky.

In fact, "blue moon" refers not to color, but to rarity. Blue moons are defined as either the fourth full moon in a season, or, more recently, as the second full moon in a month. It's the second definition that covers August's blue moon; the month's first full moon was on Aug. 1."



Credits: Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer
Published: 08/29/2012 08:31 AM EDT on LiveScience

Photo: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/07jul_bluemoon/


3 comments:

  1. I plan to have a front row seat!
    Gazing from the deck at the lake...
    I love full moons...last weekend was a crescent, and was as bright as a dollar..the topper would be a bonfire...but think it is going to be a tad bit hot tomorrow..so perhaps Saturday or Sunday night...

    Thanks for the info...enjoy your weekend! 3 tries on the word verification!!! nope...4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie Jane Moran....you are my blue moon. A bestest like you comes along once in a blue moon.
    yourpermininkdinkdan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew what the Soprano lyrics "born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes" meant until I heard the news channels tell me that we had two full moons in August (a blue moon).
    And, now that I know what a blue moon is, I still don't understand the lyrics.
    I await an explanation.

    ReplyDelete