Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tis' the season

Could not resist a basket of Ontario apples this week. There are so many baskets full of produce at the moment. It's harvest time.


Took advantage of the Westboro United Church cookbook once again for the pastry recipe. I know it's out of vogue to make one's own pie shells these days, but it is wonderfully satisfying to make a flaky crust.

Never Fail Pasty

1 lb. shortening (Use Crisco)
1 Tbsp. White sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 egg mixed with enough water to make 1 cup

Cut shortening with knife. Add dry ingredients sifted together and blend thoroughly. Add egg-water mixture until thoroughly moistened.

Chill before using.

Mrs. A.L.G. Clements

I'm not sure who Mrs. Clements was, but this sure is a fine recipe! I should add that I don't sift dry ingredients and I use a pastry blender to cut in the shortening. Crisco has a neat little package out now of bars of Crisco. The pound is equivalent to 2 and a third cups. Easy peasy.

Helen reminded me to make the dough one day, refrigerate and assemble pies the next day. This recipe makes enough dough for two covered pies. One for eating and one in the freezer. I eked out enough to make two double shells and one single shell for tomato pie. It's all about PIE!

5 comments:

  1. It's pretty hard to beat those Westboro United Church ladies with their recipes. I never use any pastry recipe other than this one and people always remark on how light and flaky it is. And you are right, it is definitely easy peasy. Another favourite in that collection is the Sour Cream Coffee Cake and of course Mildred's favourite, Lemon Bisk. I have no idea who Mrs. Clements is either but I bet her baking was mighty fine. No wonder Westboro is now the trendy place to live in Ottawa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty hard to beat those Westboro United Church ladies with their recipes. I never use any pastry recipe other than this one and people always remark on how light and flaky it is. And you are right, it is definitely easy peasy. Another favourite in that collection is the Sour Cream Coffee Cake and of course Mildred's favourite, Lemon Bisk. I have no idea who Mrs. Clements is either but I bet her baking was mighty fine. No wonder Westboro is now the trendy place to live in Ottawa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the pattern you made with the slits in the top crust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great pie! Mrs Clements must have been a great baker.

    ReplyDelete