Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Here's the thing


I like celery. I like "a little" celery in things like tuna salad, or egg salad, just about any salad 'thingy' that you make for sandwiches or actual salads. I don't like celery soup. SO....what is one supposed to do with ALL that leftover celery when you buy the economical bunch?? You pay 2.99 for a bunch and 7.99 for the option of Longo's putting the correct amount in a little partitioned plastic box along with a reasonable amount of cauliflower, and cherry tomato. Two people cannot consume an entire cost-effective bunch of celery before it withers, no matter what container you put it in. There is only so much tuna, salmon, or egg salad one can eat with the perfect "smallish" amount of celery. I know my daughter would solve this with a jar of Cheez Whiz. I may have to cave on this one. I'm so beyond Cheez Whiz, but I cannot throw things out either.


Don't get me started on cabbage. I wanted just a "bit" of coleslaw. Hamburger and cabbage lasting three days....I still have more than half a head of cabbage. Dole keeps recalling their packages of salad fixings. You can't freeze cabbage.


HOWEVER, and this is HUGE....you can freeze left-over buttermilk. I love my little Ziplock portion freezer bags and now have little cups full of buttermilk for those wonderful recipes you all sent in. One problem solved. Now if only I can remember that I have frozen buttermilk available. It's all so much for a bear of so little brain.











17 comments:

  1. Do they still make Cheez Whiz? Is it on the same shelf as my old favourite Velveeta??? Loved both of those way back when!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for once again correcting my spelling teach! :) Of course it could never be "cheese", I don't think there's any cheese in it, is there? I too loved Velveeta....since we grew up in the "mushroom soup" casserole era - and yes, they do still have CHEEZ Whiz....didn't seem to do my astrophysicist any harm.....nor did Kraft Dinner. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha Stewart tip for storing celery - completely and tightly wrap it in foil. It keeps for weeks in the crisper.

    Lauren A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, I'll try that. I'll still be eating a lot of "salad". Wonder if you can combine celery with BEETS??? Just kidding :)

      Delete
  4. That banana bread looks great! Do you like celery in Chinese dishes?

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like celery in Chinese dishes. Mostly when it's made in a Chinese restaurant.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tip on freezing buttermilk. I usually try to use it up all in one shot for pancakes, muffins and quick breads but it is nice to know that if I ever have leftovers I can now freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that tip. Thanks to Larry's cousin Sharon for the head's up on that one. I will no longer linger over the litres of buttermilk and obsess.

      Delete
  6. I'm with David, use that celery (which you have of course stored in a mint green Tupperware celery keeper, complete with a strainer type insert in the bottom...Martha Stewart has to be old enough to have one of those in her fancy equipment supply), in Chinese dishes such as stilr fries. Try Almond Guy Ding...lots of celery in that old favourite. I think you could also make an extra batch of cabbage roll casserole and freeze it. There now, the fridge is practically empty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Want to go to the Golden Palace? Maybe I could take them my overage of celery!!! Please send Cabbage Roll Casserole recipe. Is that what I call hamburger and cabbage?

      Delete
    2. FYI! Found Velveeta on the shelf at No Frills today...$8.49 for 425 grams! Cheez Whiz was over with peanut butter at $9.49 for the large jar! These products are now gourmet items at those prices I think! I'm just sayin;!

      Delete
  7. Helen obviously is a good pal of Martha's - that celery container goes with Martha's extensive collection
    of Jadeite. Must try that Almond Guy Ding...cabbage rolls are fantastic, just love 'em, especially in colder weather.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, David, Helen was Martha, waaaaay before Martha was Martha. She also did a stint as Mary Poppins teaching school for twenty some years, but we're all trying to discourage her from her straight laced tactics at this point. She IS likely one of the only people left in the world who still have the ORIGINAL Tupperware celery keeper. I shall not complain though, her Tupperware collection comes in mighty handy when she sends one home with the coveted leftover sticky toffee pudding! :)

      Delete
  8. The other alternative to Cheez Whiz is the cheese-in-a-can that you squirt out like whipped cream. I'm pretty sure that variety doesn't require refrigeration, so it keeps forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I should reveal that you are indeed my daughter. What in the world did they teach you at McGill??? I can just see you and Heather over at the local Dep and squirting that stuff directly into your mouths...no celery needed!

      Delete
  9. Will I be ridiculed if I send the next leftovers home with you in the original mint green Tupperware lettuce keeper? I can happily jab that little pointy insert into the centre of the pudding and pour the decadent sauce all around it if you wish!

    Who would have thought that a post on cabbage and celery would trigger such a response?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I think this post proves the commonality in the problem with cruciferous vegetables and celery. Just wait till you see the response for my post on KALE!

      I'll be over next week to collect the lettuce keeper - date pudding and all:) I think mine is missing the pointy part!

      Delete