Sunday, March 16, 2014

Searching

I have spent the better part of my waking hours this morning sifting through piles of magazines, smallish little recipe books, the flotsam and jetsam that has accumulated in "the cupboard".  It all started with the search for a recipe that I use all the time for over ripe-bananas.   These days, it  seems as though every time I want/need a recipe, I either Google it, or go to a very small recipe box.

I'm not keeping the collection of much sought after "Food and Drink" magazines from the LCBO.  They are such wonderful photographic gems and do give great ideas for holiday table settings, menus, etc., but they too, are now all on-line and the space in "the cupboard" is becoming a pain in the neck. Ditto for many other assorted magazines with festive covers.

:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake    {Canadian Living Everyday - 1983}
350ºF  40-45 mins.

1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
1 1/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 Cups mashed Banana
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 Cup Buttermilk or Sour Milk
1 Cup Chocolate Chips

Note:  To sour milk:  Place 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice in a measuring cup and add milk to measure 3/4 Cup.  Let sit a few minutes

In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, bananas and vanilla.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Add creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.  Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a well greased 9X13 pan.  Bake at 350ºF for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

After a long sort out, I have made a decision to seriously decrease the clutter in this valuable kitchen real estate. If you want magazines or cookbooks, speak now, or find them at the nearest book sale in the spring! The original recipe was in the very small recipe box where it has always been for 30 some years. ~ Oh dear.~


Apparently, according to my picture files, and prior to using labels, I have also previously done a post on this very recipe:) Good Grief. I'm having a great deal of difficulty lately remembering just about anything. Now, as my Dad would always say..."PUDDLER!...get crackin'". Off to bake.

P.S. This will leave me with a serious overage of buttermilk. All ideas welcome for the rest of the litre. Help - Please!!!!




2 comments:

  1. Make the Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Bread.....you won't regret it....promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, make half of the old reliable bran muffin recipe I have in my file in your handwriting. It is so handy to have at the ready in the fridge.
    Great minds think alike...I sorted out recipe books and some magazines last week. The LCBO ones are in recycling! We have an organization picking up things in early April, so the discarded recipe books are set to go and I am moving on from there. All this sorting...must be spring!!

    ReplyDelete