Monday, April 28, 2014

Another series to consider

Sunday evening is my favourite t.v. night. The line up is: "The Amazing Race", "Call the Midwife", "Mr. Selfridge", "The Good Wife". The Professor likes "Game of Thrones", so we have to have all electronics at the ready. It's always the same, all the great shows on the same night, the same time....makes the PVR a total necessity. Now I can't stand to view things any other way. I have to fast forward through all commercials.

Last night on "Call the Midwife", toward the end, when the narrator Vanessa Redgrave speaks in her mellifluous tones, this sentiment made me finally decide to read Jennifer Worth's collection. The language is perfection.


"Perfection is not a polished thing.
It is often simply something that is sincerely meant.
Perfection is a job complete, praise given, prayer heard.
It can be kindness shown, thanks offered up.
Perfection is what we discover in each other, what we see reflected back.

Oh! And if perfection eludes us, that doesn't matter.
For what we have within the moment is enough."







Credit: Quote from Call the Midwife.

3 comments:

  1. We record the Race...watch Midwives at 8....OMG I cried last night!
    Watch the Race at 9......Mad Men at 10....never got into Mr Selfridge...will try when it replays again....
    Have you watched Doc Martin yet? Love love love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for posting this quote. I marry people. When I heard this I kept replaying the recording to capture the words but couldn't. Now I will use this phrase in my wedding ceremonies. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched my recording of this segment. I managed only to write down the end. Thanks for the quote in it's entirety.

    ReplyDelete