Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Working through the stash

After taking the zipper class, I decided to make a Herculean attempt at using up what fabrics I own, making at least a dent in the stash that I have hoarded.

I had two very ancient Jelly Rolls, so old, the fabrics I am sure are now "extinct". If you don't know what a jelly roll is, this is what they look like. The pattern is Madeira.


And here is what you do to make a jelly roll quilt top. I didn't race, I just enjoyed the process and getting comfortable with the machine.





1600 Inches of jelly roll strips




Ooops! A miscalculation required a corner fix in the border. There is now a block in each corner. Adds texture I say!







Voila! One down and one to go...could be one snuggle quilt for a little girl and one for a little boy!

For sure I will try and make the back "Patchy" thereby using up even more oldies but goodies. The quilting will be extremely primitive and hopefully by hand.










2 comments:

  1. Look at you over there.....sewing up a storm!
    Please show them when they are complete....lucky kiddies♥️
    I have sewn a few outdoor cushions...and recovered some outdoor seat cushions!
    So you think we will get to use them?!
    Happy Birthday to Jane...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an intriguing concept in quilting! I love the random nature of it. My mother often worried that quilting would become a lost art, but there is a real resurgence it seems, which is heartwarming indeed. I do hope to see your finished products before they are delivered to L.A.

    ReplyDelete