Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Nutmeg Grater Caper

It all started with a need to make "Pumpkin Pie Spice". I know, you CAN purchase it ready made in a bottle, but I wanted to make my own. Before I lose my train of thought, this is the recipe:

4 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
4 tsp. Ground Ginger
3 tsp. Ground Allspice

Makes 8 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix.


The nutmeg grater was nowhere to be found. My first line of reasoning was that The Professor had thrown it out. He deems most of my highly prized culinary gadgets as drawer space wasters. I figured he probably had no idea what a nutmeg grater was, having never had the joy of using one, and had therefore uncluttered the spice drawer. End of. Who, other than the pastry chef in the family, would ever even need to use a nutmeg grater? Couldn't be her...could it? After a root through said drawer, it occurred to me that it might possibly have escaped the back of the drawer and fallen down into the cabinet below. Lo and behold! Ahem. Everyone, off the hook and on with the grating :)

Why, say you, was I so bent on this seasonal mixture?

Pumpkin Obsessed.

It, of course, all started with Carol. Her post reminded me that I had purchased a donut pan whilst in Vancouver. One for me and one for my daughter-in-law the pastry chef. I once made an attempt with an Ina Garten recipe, with half hearted results, but just knew that Carol's version would be perfectly pumpkiny. I was not wrong. Carol, in turn had used this link for her recipe, so this goes waaaaay back folks.

The recipe for the pumpkin donuts uses 3/4 of a cup of pumpkin. What am I going to do with the rest of the rather large can I opened??

As luck would have it, a recent recipe surfaced in the Toronto Star and I was off. "Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares". Submitted for the taste Canada awards by Rosie Daykin, from the 'Butter Baked Goods & Café' in Vancouver!


"Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares


Bakery owner Rosie Daykin says this seasonal bar (which she calls a blondie) comes to Butter Baked Goods & Café in Vancouver every October and leaves in January. Adapted from Butter Baked Goods: Nostalgic Recipes from a Little Neighborhood Bakery.

2-1/2 cups (675 mL) all-purpose flour

2 tbsp (30 mL) pumpkin pie spice

1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda

1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt

1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1-3/4 cup (435 mL) granulated sugar

1 large egg

1-1/2 cups (375 mL) canned pure pumpkin purée

2 tbsp (30 mL) pure vanilla extract

1-1/2 cups (375 mL) dark chocolate chips

In mixing bowl using fine-mesh sieve, sift together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.

In large bowl using electric mixer, beat butter on medium 1 minute. Add sugar. Beat 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add egg, pumpkin and vanilla. Beat until fully combined, scraping down sides of bowl several times. In several batches on low speed, add flour mixture. Beat until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spread batter into 9- by 13-inch (23- by 33-cm) parchment-lined baking dish, smoothing top.

Bake in centre of preheated 350 F (180 C) oven until tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 to 45 minutes.

Cool completely in pan. Run a small knife along two edges of pan that do not have parchment handles. Carefully remove slab from pan. Using large knife, cut into 24 pieces or as desired.

Blondies will keep in airtight container up to 5 days or in freezer up to 3 weeks.

Makes 24 pieces.




Now here lies the conundrum. I have used but 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of 'Pumpkin Pie Spice' mix in my two efforts and still have one cup remaining pumpkin puree.




Recipe and Photo Credit the Toronto Star

1 comment:

  1. Time for some pumpkin muffins! Try "Pumpkin and Spice and Everything Nice Muffins Looneyspoons". I know you love chocolate chips but I think they would also be nice with raisins, though I have never tried them in it.

    ReplyDelete