Friday, December 5, 2014

Good Will and Compassion

One day while visiting the little family in Southern California, I was honoured to read the story at Venice Gardens Pre-School. Zoë was very excited to have Mamère and Papi come to her school and meet her little friends and teachers. Once the initial introductions were made and the tour conducted we realized just what a very special place this is indeed.

When you enter the house/school you are greeted by fluttering Tibetan prayer flags. You just know this is going to be a zen experience.

"Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags do not carry prayers to gods, which is a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. Therefore, prayer flags are thought to bring benefit to all."


I think this is what school should be all about. Everyone is welcome, and safe here...for sure.


Since the school is located in an older home, the vintage bathtub has been left in situ and has become a magical underwater treasure trove feature of glorious finds from the sea.


The turtles float along in the huge tank, silently just keeping an eye on everyone.


As I was taking photos of various spots in the house, Zoë said.."Mamère! You'd better take a picture of that spider on the wall....I made it!"


This is one of the calmest, most loving, caring and nurturing schools I have ever known. The teachers are amazing and a truly wonderful group of women and Parker the music man. It's one of those places that you just know, had you gone there as a child, you'd be a better person today. What a wonderful way to start an education.


The book I chose to read was "Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car". This was one of Zoë's mum's favourite books around the same age as Zoë is now. 4 and a HALF.

One day, driving along in the insane LA traffic, I was "discreetly" ranting at The Professor in French and inserted the word "empathy" in English into the otherwise French tirade. Zoë, who no doubt was trying her hardest to translate from her car seat in the back, pipes up that she knows what "empathy" is! I paused and asked her how she knew about "empathy" to which she replied.

"I learned that in my school. It means that you know what someone else is feeling. That's my "role"....I help out all the little darlings when they are feeling upset, because I know how that feels, and I'm a big helper, because I'm the oldest in the class."


Peace, compassion, strength and wisdom. Lessons we all need to revisit.

The end.







1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds like the most wonderful school to start your education at. Prayer flags to enter, turtles doing their thing, acceptance of all....like you said, wouldn't we all be better people if we had started here!

    ReplyDelete