Saturday, December 20, 2014

Tasting a Memory

While visiting in Vancouver with Gord, Rach, {Forest and Simon} (cats), they all indulged me by visiting Rosie Daykin's bakery "Butter". It was such a fun excursion and the treats were exceptional.

When it comes to Christmas baking, the Prof. and I like shortbread cookies the best. I decided to try a food processor recipe this year with little success. Not to be thwarted, I suddenly remembered my "Butter" cookbook. I have to say that Rosie's version of 'Vanilla Shortbread' turned out extremely well. It called for 2 TABLESPOONS of vanilla! I hovered and hesitated and then decided, if it is really a cook-off I have to follow the recipe. It was great.


Other friends have been looking for dissolving sugar and lemon additives for their latest trials. Ina Garten has a recipe with ginger in hers. My next test will be Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of The Cake Bible, Scottish Shortbread. It has now become an obsession to find the perfect recipe. How anything so simple with such simple ingredients can be so tricky is beyond me. After all, there is butter, sugar, and flour. Basically...that's it. The method for every recipe is different. I need to be able to reproduce Mrs. McDonald's recipe from my childhood. I'll let you know.





Happy Christmas Baking! If you have Mrs. MacDonald's recipe, please send it.








2 comments:

  1. Mine got a Macdonald seal of approval.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a wonderful shortbread with chunks of crystallized ginger in it. I also can make it gluten free and it is just as fabulous ! ( so everyone says - I am a salty snack eater, so I don't eat many cookies)

    ReplyDelete