Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Mission Accomplished

When we decided on NYC as our destination I decided that I really wanted to spend an entire day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For some reason I also decided not to bring my "big" camera and instead, rely on my iPhone camera. Big mistake. Not that the "little" camera isn't sufficient, but one should never venture out to NYC without the "big" camera. Ever.

I consider "The Met" a bit like Paris....one can never be done with it, or see it all. It's just a wonderful go-to place and a sanctuary in the heat of summer in the city.

The Professor came with me to the first of my planned exhibits, that of John Singer Sargent. This installation was "Sargent - Portraits of Artists and Friends". He wanted to try my recommendation of lunch in the cafeteria before branching off over Central Park to the Natural History Museum, so he also got to enjoy the Sargent display and in general the entire Met atmosphere. Lunch was wonderful too. Upon his trek back across the park for our meeting at 4 p.m. we indulged in the café overlooking Central Park and revived ourselves for the next leg of the tour.

Through an upper window you can see down into the European Sculpture Court. It's always interesting to look at the big picture even as it unfolds before your eyes and catch the details.

The Big Picture


The Details

This gentleman (bottom right) whose posture mimics the poses in marble. He's looking at his phone no doubt, the women are not. Also mid photo, I can only imagine the conversation going on with the gentleman and the (about) five year old girl :)

As always, you can click on the photos to embiggen






I will post some of the woefully inadequate phone pics, but at least you will get some idea of the works. The website link will be much more informative.














I always get the yearly page-a-day calendar of works from the Met, and have recently added METMUSEUM to my Instagram account. A good way of enjoying this treasure if you can't get there in person.















http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2015/sargent-portraits-of-artists-and-friends

2 comments:

  1. I also get the page a day Met Calendars. This year we decided to get "a year in France". So disappointing :)
    I use the Met pages at school all the time. "What do you think will happen next?" , " how does this painting make you feel? Etc.
    What do you do with the pages at the end of the year? Or do you toss them as you use them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha. I had/have this inflated notion that one day I will transform the pages into something collaged or otherwise transformed. It hasn't happened yet and likely will not. I still have a pile of years gone by. Could you use them in your classroom? That seems a much loftier purpose than anything I can give them. You are more than welcome to have mine. I'd love it!

      Delete